High-quality photos of you from the Tail of the Dragon
As featured in Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Roadbike, Sport Rider, Road Racing World, MotoEuro, Road Racer X, 2 Wheel Tuner, Super Streetbike, Supermoto Racer, "Bike" magazine, and many more!
All photos are available in Our Store.
9 comments:
Not my choice for color but that is a clean (and shiny) green machine.
And Yes, I'm sure people still pull out in front of them.
My buddy & I both ride GL1800's with headlight modulators on the high beams. 2 bikes, 4 flashing lights, people still pull out! Not as many mind you but there are people out there that just don't open their eyes.
Not trying to be mean or anything, but a lot of people take the flashing high beams thing as a 'go ahead.'
Don't take that as me defending the idiots though, mind you.
Looks almost like Roulette Green that Triumph had awhile back. Loved it on my Speed Triple.
That opens up a spot for a question. I don't have modulators on front or back (silver FZ6). Just flash the brake light manually if I feel the need. I'll hit the emergency flashers if coming up on stopped traffic (I'm in Philly. Happens a lot.). On secondaries, if I am coming up on a car that I'm not sure has spotted me, I'll wobble the bike a touch in the lane (as conditions permit). I figure that side-to-side motion will stand out. Dumb? Useless? Of course, even then I never trust the other guy.
Hey Timmer, I ride a silver FZ6 in the Philly area too, have a headlight modulator but nothing on the back. Mixed results with the modulator. There have been times when I know the flashing caught someone's attention and they stopped, other times the idiots pulled out anyway, one guy that nearly killed me claimed he didn't see the headlight or the bike, but I could tell before the incident he just wasn't looking. A guy I work with said he has had 2 idiots pull out on him because they thought his modulator was a go-ahead signal. So go figure. I'm gonna switch the stock lights and modulator out for an FX-35 bi-xenon HID setup, figure brighter is better and no flashing to confuse the idiots.
My experience with the headlight modulator is it cuts down on the close calls a lot. I leave it running all the time (daytime use only per specs & laws). Funny thing is whith 2 wings running them coming at you that's a lot of lights flashing all the way down the road (out of sync mind you) and some just don't look. But then I've seen people pull out in front of Fire Engines and EMT vehicles as well when they are in full lights and sirens. As for the brake modulator, I run that on an add on light mounted under the luggage rack. The rest of the tail/brake lights are stock. Again, I do notice fewer cars pulling in close/fast behind me when slowing. Bottom line, I like them but I never assume they are going to save me and I ALWAYS assume that EVERYONE is trying to try to kill me. Gives me distance and time.
Those HID's look sweet. I'll put them on the wish list. @drwinters6: Yeah, you have it right. Assume they are out to get me. Keep the 2-3 second gap, and maintain an escape path. I have 31000 miles on the bike. So far, so good. Always looking for tips, though. One thing I will do when I'm in heavy, high-speed merging traffic is downshift to 3rd or 4th. Not for the torque, although that doesn't hurt. Loud pipes are one thing, but an R6 engine roaring at 9000+ rpm can be heard a mile away. Love the sound, too!
I run Hella Yellowstar bulbs in my Strom to stand out a bit from other headlights. It seems to work fairly well.
Post a Comment