Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First shots of the new Corvette ZR1

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

RC 51 Mark said...

Until I'm 60 and cant get an erection.....boring !

Unknown said...

Never realized that 620 horsepower and 595 foot pounds of torque was boring. D:

jazzmann said...

That's fine for going in a straight line. If the new Mustang V6 can out-corner a Miata, it'll prolly beat this too in any contest of handling except possibly lateral acceleration. More fun for a helluva lot less money.

SC_SV said...

Wow... what's up with the ZR1 hate? That is an AMAZING supercar that can give a Ferrari a serious run for it's money at about a THIRD the cost! I like Mustangs as much as anyone (have owned two), but even a current base-model Corvette is in a whole other league - much less a ZR1!

jazzmann said...

Sorry, but I've never been a fan of the Corvette. Like the Viper, it's Detroit's stock-in-trade answer to everything - just throw more muscle at it. It's always been just a dressed up muscle car. What other ultra sports cars do with refinement and precision, the Vette does with the bluntness of a sledge hammer.

yetimcclin said...

Jazzman, if you think a Mustang is going to out-handle a Corvette, ANY new Corvette much less a ZR1, you need your head checked.

jazzmann said...

No, I don't really believe that, sorry for the weak attempt at sarcasm. What I was trying to say was all that horsepower doesn't get you anything you can't get in a less powered, more precise, better handling car, except a better drag strip number. I'm not saying it's a bad car, just a different philosophy of how to put together a super-car, one that I've never cared for. The NSX or GT-R are more my style. Peace. Out.

Unknown said...

Slalom

2011 Mustang V6 69.2mph (road and track)
$33,055 price as tested

2010 Corvette Grand Sport 70.7mph (road and track)
$68,375 price as tested

it may out handle the mustang barely but it is NOT in another league and for under half the price.

yetimcclin said...

I could name a very impressive list of cars including the NSX that the Corvette would GLADLY destroy on a race track. The regular Corvette. The Gran Sport would do even better. The Z06, better still. And the ZR1 will straight up destroy almost* every car within 2x it's price at a track.

*it may have some issues with the GTR on a tight track. Open track, ZR1 would still win.

jazzmann said...

Did I say anything about the NSX or the GT-R beating the ZR1? No, I said they're more my style. If all that matters to you is who's on top at the track, great, go buy one. But in typical Detroit fashion, it's still an unsophisticated, uninspired application of brute force to get that result. In this video, Edmunds runs the ZR1 against the GT-R and, no surprise, the Vette - at $35,000 more than the GR-R - wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU

But regarding overall performance on the track they said this:

"The two cars couldn't be more different. GT-R was smooth, easy to push hard, and docile at the limits. The Vette was more of a handful requiring careful throttle modulation to control oversteer and more steering input. " Watching the video, the Vette is drifting the rear on nearly every corner.

In a 2010 comparison against the 911 Turbo, Car and Driver said this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q1/2010_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_vs._2010_porsche_911_turbo-comparison_tests

"Inside, the ZR1 has some subtle changes, but the overall ambiance
continues the low-rent tradition, specially compared with the dressy
Porsche — certainly not what you’d expect in a sports car that stickers for $121,425. "

"Lows: You paid $120K and got that interior? Needs a steady hand on bumpy secondary roads."
"The Verdict: A cudgel compared with the 911, but blunt instruments get results."

And in this article, former F1 driver Juan Pablo Montoya hints at the same thing.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/video-juan-pablo-montoya-runs-a-corvette-zr1-roughshod-ar95392.html

"On the flip side, Montoya’s years as a top-class racer has also exposed him to a wide number of uber fast sports cars and, while he did have some well-earned props for the ZR1, he also, ever so subtly, pointed out that the ZR1 is a car that isn’t for the weak of heart."

So if the bottom line is all that matters and you're willing to pay $110K - $120K for same ol' same ol' unrefined Detroit muscle, and the industry-leading unreliability that comes with it, go for it. For the same money or less, I'll stick with something that's innovative, sophisticated, and actually advances automotive technology. For me it's not all about who wins, it's about the execution, and there's nothing interesting about how the Vette gets its numbers, even as good as they are.

jazzmann said...

Did I say anything about the NSX or the GT-R beating the ZR1? No, I said they're more my style. If all that matters is who's on top at the track, great, go buy one. It's still an uninspired, unsophisticated application of brute force that generates all that performance. In this video, Edmund's runs the ZR1 against a GT-R and, no surprise, the ZR1, at $35K more, wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU

But when describing their overall performance on the track, they say:

"The two cars couldn't be more different. GT-R was smooth, easy to push hard, and docile at the limits. The Vette was more of a handful requiring careful throttle modulation to control oversteer and more steering input." And watching the Vette, you can see the rear drifting on nearly every corner.

And in a 2010 comparo against the Porsche 911 Turbo, Car and Driver said this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q1/2010_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_vs._2010_porsche_911_turbo-comparison_tests

"Inside, the ZR1 has some subtle changes, but the overall ambience continues the low-rent tradition, especially compared with the dressy Porsche—certainly not what you’d expect in a sports car that stickers for $121,425."

"Lows: You paid $120K and got that interior? Needs a steady hand on bumpy secondary roads."

"The Verdict: A cudgel compared with the 911, but blunt instruments get results."

So yeah, it has great performance numbers, props for that. And if the bottom line is all that matters, go for it. But to me it's still the same ol' same ol' brute force muscle car mentality that Detroit has always had. I'll spend my money (if I had that much) on something more refined, sophisticated, and that actually advances automotive technology.

yetimcclin said...

So what you're saying is you'd rather your performance car look good than actually go fast...you'd rather have garage jewelry.

Screw it, I'd take a bike over any of 'em anyway. Spend the extra on lots and lots of tires.

jazzmann said...

No. Don't put words in my mouth - again. Did I say anything about how these cars look? NO. I said I would buy something more refined, sophisticated, and innovative, not recycled muscle car technology. (Frankly, I do like the looks of the Vette over the GT-R.) How it performs on the track wouldn't matter to me because I wouldn't be buying a car for the track, I'd be buying one to drive and live with every day. But back to the original point, the one that I've been making all along, they're just different approaches to building a super-car and I prefer the way the imports do it over the way Detroit does it. End of story.

We do agree on one thing though - before buying any one of these cars, I'd buy a bike (or a few) and spend lots of money on tires.

james scott said...

Drive what makes you happy ... to each their own.

2wheelsonly! said...

Just a car.

motodog said...

Where can I read the article that describes a new Mustang as outhandling a Miata?

Darryl Cannon aka "killboy" said...

It was a couple of months ago, but I can't remember which magazine...I'm subscribed to three. You can find test results and compare them pretty easily if you dig around though.

Mustang Specs on Motor Trend

Miata Specs on Motor Trend

Mustang Specs on Car and Driver

Mata Specs on Car and Driver