Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Saturday on the Dragon was not without incident...

There were 4 head-ons by the end of the day.  Easily the most I've ever heard of in one day.  I believe they were mostly low-speed with minor injuries.

 
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

james scott said...

Wow. I'm guessing motorcycles crossing the yellow. Do you know how many were cars crossing versus motorcycles crossing?

I hope everyone is okay.

Regards, James

86CoupeGT said...

Ouch. Busy day up there... Hope everyone is ok and heals quickly!

NISMO-FO said...

This kinda news should HOPEFULLY wake people up. Cant be riding/driving over your head. And if nothing else, keep it in your own lane, in all corners, all the time. Wow.

Hope yuns are okay.

Jimbozcrazy said...

You know, if there were head on accidents, that means at least one of the vehicles wasn't where it was supposed to be. There is no excuse for lane crossing, no matter what you drive folks.

I wish all involved speedy recoveries. Sorry to hear =(

Unknown said...

I was there for the porsche one and it was the car that came across and caught the rider just as an FYI

Superdog said...

I see more and more people all over NC driving cars over the double yellow. Usually you come upon them head on and there is plenty of room to get over, but still, why is there no enforcement on this? That should be automatic loss of license. Ultimate dangerous.

Darryl Cannon aka "killboy" said...

jssiler: 2 were car vs. bike, 2 were bike on bike at wheelie hell, (first turn up from store) so I was told. Ben later posted there were 3 car vs. bike on dealsgap.com, so I could be wrong.

Either way it was messy, left a couple of oily hazards, and yes, means that people are not staying in their lane. I also wish the enforcement was focused more on lane crossing instead of speed, as speed was not a factor in most or all of these incidents.

Donna Ghost Bear said...

Saw the photos of the Porsche...both on the Dragon and on the wrecker.....you think someone with the money to buy the Cayman would know how to drive it....and know what those yellow lines are for....guess they have more $$$ than sense.

If you can't drive it then don't buy it.

Joshua said...

Speed is 100% the factor...if they slowed down they would be able to stay in their lane!

Miyako said...

There are people that can't stay in their lane no matter how slow they go. They under-steer or over-steer every corner because they don't know how to drive; I call them point and shoot drivers. Testing whther someone can actually steer around a corner properly should be part of every driving test.

My verification word id "splat". I guess that's cyber irony.

K03gsxr750 said...

"Speed is 100% the factor...if they slowed down they would be able to stay in their lane!"

I think you are misunderstanding the very basic difference between a contributing cause, and direct cause. If you are speeding and someone crosses into your lane and you hit them because you were going to quickly speed was only partially the reason.

If you were in a car doing everything right speed limit and everything else, you could still find yourself under a white dodge ram. If people never ever crossed the double yellow speed would not be an issue.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day, made me laugh out loud. Forget world peace, visualize using your turn signals. Its a sad truth but 80% of people feel like they are in the top 5% of drivers on the road, the same group feels like everyone else is out to get them.

james scott said...

Thanks Darryl and all.

I'm not the best rider. I try to run a spirited pace right under my limitations. I never push my limits in corners, testing the double yellows or too excessive speeds.

Only if they would let me and my GL1800 on the track ... called and tried and denied.

Anyway, I hope people saw this and it raises awareness.

Safe riding.

James

dwfranke1 said...

www.utahsba.com/schools/START/
this is the track school for touring bikes, so if you make it out west, good luck

ky_airhog said...

My brother was there this weekend and was parked at the straight just past Parsons Curve. There was a trooper parked at PC and another on foot with a radio at the upper end of the straight at Swift Corner, i think. When bikes came around SC and crossed the yellow he radioed the trooper at PC and the bike was pulled over. When bikes came around SC at excessive speed but in their own lane he radioed the trooper in the car and told him the bike was fast but in his own lane and they let him go.

Darryl Cannon aka "killboy" said...

That's great to hear KY!

If riders are going too fast in rights, they can end up across the center if they don't use enough lean angle or run out of lean.

If people are crossing the yellow on lefts, which is usually the case, it's because they're going too slow, and/or leaning too hard. They lean the bike, but it cuts an arc too tight for the radius, and they end up in the wrong lane. If they would go faster, their arc would be wider, and they'd stay out in the right lane. (until they ran off the road)

It's definitely a balance of lean angle/speed/radius, any of which in excess or moderation will cause problems. Making blanket statements about any of the contributing factors being the "sole cause" perpetuates misconceptions and we learn nothing.

ky_airhog said...

Trooper Russell, by the way.